Dane Street Gas Works

Dane Street Gas Works

In 1823, the Rochdale Gas Light and Coke Company was formed. The site on Dane Street was chosen for the Gas Works because most of the areas to be supplied with gas were at a greater elevation.

The gasometers soon became a common sight, dominating the town's skyline - by 1893 there were four gasometers, and a fifth was added by 1909.

For many years, the Gas Department provided all the street lighting in the Borough of Rochdale free of cost to all rate-payers.

Shortly after the 2nd world war the corporation came under the control of the North Western Gas Board. The Dane Street Plant was used during the war by the Ministry of Supply’s chemical defence section to produce activated carbon from indigenous materials.