Oakenrod Mill circa 1972

Oakenrod Mill circa 1972

It is believed that the first Mill on this site would have been a Corn Mill in the early 1500’s.

By around 1606, a Fulling Mill existed on the site, and it remained in use during the 18th Century. By 1784, it was occupied by James Heaward, who owned several Mills in Rochdale.

The fulling of woollen cloth, after weaving, was the earliest textile process to be mechanised and power driven. The fulling process involved beating the woollen cloth in water and treating it with fuller’s earth, which cleaned and scoured the cloth, and also resulted in thickening and shrinking.